Is it the end for Clydesite

A place to let off steam - anything goes - well, almost!
vic mcclymont

Is it the end for Clydesite

Post by vic mcclymont » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:22 pm

Clydesite is now unavailable, been using all day, suddleny went down.
Vic McClymont

Angus Mac Kinnon

Clydesite & TugTalk - The End ?

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:02 pm

It is increasingly difficult to find any cause for optimism. Whilst we have experienced outages and related problems in the past, where Clydesite was concerned, this latest development is by far the worst and most worrying to date. Even if it was inevitable and unavoidable, it would have been expected that Bruce would have had the gumption to let his Membership know it was all on the slippery slope to nowhere and let folk - his loyal Membership for many years - have the opportunity to say their goodbyes, make alternative arrangements (as some of us did last July via the so-called 'Lifeboat') and otherwise end the long association with some degree of dignity as opposed to the 'plug-pulling-syndrome that appears to have been the case.

More importantly, if it was all over in his mind or for other practicable purposes, the cardinal sin will have been the failure to secure the irreplaceable Database before he pulled the plug. That has always for the past 4-5 years been the principal fear for all those serious members of the Clydesite forum. Of course we will all miss TT and Foghorn just as we have missed John's Naval board, but all of these can be got over with time, or alternatives found. The main Datebase for which we all owed so much to so few, I have previously named them, is sacrosanct and should never ever have been put in jeopardy. Many members made their overtures to Bruce to stop this happening, to put things on a proper safe, secure and professional footing and, if the whole lot is now down the tubes, then shame on you Bruce for allowing this to happen.

That was the downside. Somehow I cannot yet accept in my mind that Bruce would allow these things to come to pass. I know Bruce fairly well, possibly better than most, and this is not something I would imagine he would condone or allow to develop unless it was literally out of his control, for reasons of personal illness, financial problems, personal circumstances that are just that - personal. Whatever, until someone has heard further, or magically (it's not without precedence) the site reappears, we should remain in hope that all is not yet lost.

Meantime, for any Clydesiters joining ClydeMaritime, welcome on board, we are delighted to see you even if not with the circumstances that occasioned the event. Be aware that the ClydeMaritime boards are different to the Clydesite boards, arguably not quite as user-friendly as many have found out, but they are workable so please do persevere and don't hesitate to ask for help and guidance should you be struggling or about to start pulling your hair out - excluding Vic who doesn't have any left to pull :lol:
Angus Mac Kinnon

alasdairmac

Re: Is it the end for Clydesite

Post by alasdairmac » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:04 pm

Sad day if this is the end Vic but it's been coming for some time now. Tugtalk has been off for a good few days now and no sign of BB even commenting on it and so it doesnt look as if he is around.

Fortunately, we've got good old ClydeMaritime here where even the most diehard Clydesiters, Foghorners and TugTalkers are more than welcome. Sadly though it looks as if we may also lose the Clydebuilt database unless someone took up Bruce's offer to buy a copy of it.

From the North

Post by From the North » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:17 pm

Maybe the Clydesite server is in Japan and it's got washed away with the Tsunami.

Ron Ireland

Post by Ron Ireland » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:47 pm

I'm more concerned about a lady over in the US of A, are you with us Ruth?

Ron S

Re: Clydesite & TugTalk - The End ?

Post by Ron S » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:49 pm

Angus Mac Kinnon wrote:It is increasingly difficult to find any cause for optimism.
Keep the faith there Angus.
TT is presently back on line, thanks to the efforts of a regular poster DW. One of the last posts before the collapse was from Mike Conafray who had sponsored the site through Marineco, he was not happy and was going to be doing some chasing up.
Ron Stewart

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:07 pm

See here for info: http://www.clydesite.co.uk/foghorn/read ... 12/03/2011

Of more concern now though is the whereabouts and wellbeing of Bruce.
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | clydemaritimeforums.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled)

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | Twitter: @threetowner

Brendabc

Post by Brendabc » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:28 am

I have refrained from saying anything at the moment, but I am also concerned not only for Bruce's state of health but also for our dear friend Ruth. I have been keeping in regular touch with her and had e-mailed her last night saying that if we heard anything we would get in touch.

On getting up this morning and looking into my e-mail Ruth had sent me saying that she is devastated that she cannot keep in touch with her friends on Clydesite/foghorn I do not know if she will be able to get TT . I am quite concerned for her and as a lot of you will Know this is the only way that our young lady of many years young has of talking to all her friends.

If any of you have Ruths e-mail address please could you drop her a wee e-mail (It doesn't have to be long) just to say that he is still in your thoughts .

Many thanks

Brenda ;)

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:28 am

Have sent Ruth a message, Brenda.
Angus Mac Kinnon

dougie-coull

Post by dougie-coull » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:29 am

Angus Mac Kinnon wrote:Have sent Ruth a message, Brenda.
Me too :)
Cheers,
Dougie

River Clyde - AIS Sharer ID: cX

Twitter: https://twitter.com/DougieCoullPics
Web: http://www.Dougie-Coull-Photography.com

Richard D

Post by Richard D » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:59 pm

Ruth has surfaced on TT, saying:
"Comment posted by Ruth Wynne on 13/03/2011 17:39:11
I have several messages! The first from dear Angus who gave me a liferope to get in and here I am. Blessings on every one of you!!"

From the North

Post by From the North » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:24 am

Has anybody heard anything yet. Any word from Bruce?

dougie-coull

Post by dougie-coull » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:33 am

From the North wrote:Has anybody heard anything yet. Any word from Bruce?
Contact has been made, it was posted in TT.
Cheers,
Dougie

River Clyde - AIS Sharer ID: cX

Twitter: https://twitter.com/DougieCoullPics
Web: http://www.Dougie-Coull-Photography.com

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:47 am

See also under 'Question' in the Clyde section.
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

sugarboat28

Post by sugarboat28 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:37 pm

TugTalk has staggered back again.

Hearach

Post by Hearach » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:29 pm

Foghorn also appears to be up and running again.

Allan

Ian

Post by Ian » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:46 pm

It would be a bit too early to cheer. Yes I was able to view Foghorn but that was all. Tugtalk where we were being directed for information was unobtainable.

If you know any good prayers keep saying them
Brenda's Guide Dug - no old bones please best sirloins only

Hearach

Post by Hearach » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:08 pm

BB appears to be beavering away trying to sort things out.

Allan

Ruthiewynne

Post by Ruthiewynne » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:18 pm

I have just found Tugtalk down again, so to those who know me already, I am posting here to let you know I am trying to keep up with my friends and you are also my loved ones!! I will be watching your posts and caring about you wherever you or I find ourselves. Please use my e-mail if you would like to correspond, arles53@hotmail.com. I will always be concerned about you and how and where you are!!

Ian

Post by Ian » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:25 pm

Had another look and found that Clydesite is up and running. BB has posted and from what he says he may have some more work to do to stabilise matters.

Keep looking in and hope that everything is fully working in time
Brenda's Guide Dug - no old bones please best sirloins only

Bill Harvey

Post by Bill Harvey » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:48 pm

At 16:45 all boards were showing white and "Service Unavailable"

Bill

peter sommerville

Post by peter sommerville » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:08 pm

All boards up and running when I got in at 17.00hrs

riverman

Post by riverman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:03 pm

Clydesite has arisen again, like a Phoenix from the ashes! :D
Last edited by riverman on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paul hunter

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:14 pm

And all the usual sycophants are at it again with their "well done Bruce". When will they realise that Bruce is the problem, not the cure?

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:22 pm

Tugster. for someone who is supposedly educated I am amazed at your naivety. "BB is the only one able to fix it". When will you and your like realise that that is the very problem with Clydesite: it is Bruce and Bruce alone. If he hadn't spurned all of the genuine offers of help then it would never get to these all too often crises. Nobody has ever tried to take the sites away from him. only to help. Frankly I no longer give a monkey's about TT and Foghorn: these are excellently replicated here, but Clydebuilt is not Bruce's to jeopardise and we must all work to save that for the future. Sticking our collective heads in the sand and saying "good old Bruce" is not going to achieve that. Let's call a spade a spade: when he goes off on his next "absence", doesn't pay the hosting bills and Clydebuilt is lost, erased from the server for all time, what will you be saying then?

PS trying to use the Japanese analogy is sickening and does you no credit

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:07 am

Tone it down, lads.
Let's leave Japan out of it, a great tragedy but unconnected to Clydesite or CM.
This site was unashamedly set up to 'replicate' CS arising solely from the long downtimes and frustrations of last summer, easily forgotten perhaps but the lifeboat was launched and people rallied to it. There has never been any issue over people following one site, or the other, or dipping into both, as they wish. We have thankfully been an almost stooshy-free zone and let's keep it that way!
However, those of us who pushed for CM and found in Stuart someone who could twiddle the knobs of a standard forum software also saw that it could be something more than CS chiefly in its ability to react to its users needs and I think this has been demonstrated as new shipping sections and some fine maritime research has been added and will continue to be added .... this was always hard to achieve within CS.
In terms of the ability to offer forums for shipping in general, tugs of even Foghorns then neither CS or CM are unique and therefore the loss of any one such site might be sad but not a disaster.
The issue at heart is always the Clydebuilt database and the argument can turn from legal ownership, with BB, or 'moral ownership' in terms of the origins of the data and the expansion resulting from so many hours by so many people. On the other hand, databases such as Miramar have come along and you can bring up a list of ships and their data for almost any shipyard in the world, not as complete in smaller vessels and no photos or engine details but nevertheless a useful resource among others than exist. So the internet has continued to grow since BB set up his venture. So efforts must continue to make the d/base secure and available beyond the dependence on BB assuming when released its basic scripts are of a type that others can develop.
We should all try to leave behind us some legacy, a footprint to show we have been here and gone, and Bruce's legacy can be the d/base if only he can be persuaded to see that. But it's for you lot 'up there' to achieve it, BEST OF LUCK!
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

alasdairmac

Post by alasdairmac » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:13 am

Tugster. I read your post as a defence of BB and for that I apologise. I now realise what you meant.

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:12 am

Working just now, just put a couple of pics on. This site acting up though........
Paul Strathdee

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:49 am

Every site has it's ups and downs - some just have a few more than others. At the moment CS is getting a much needed under the bonnet service by BB following its latest downtime. That will take a few days (hopefully) to settle down. And yes compared to other tragedies it's a small inconvenience. However, over the years forums like CS, and ourselves, have evolved into our own wee communities and we are always on the lookout for one another, and don't want thrown into an unknown and worrying silence.

Thankfully, here at ClydeMaritime Mansions we've had very little unplanned downtime - only 1 instance where the site hosts had a major outage for a couple of hours just. This site was set up very quickly on my own personal server space last year. The time will come (and at the rate of growth we are experiencing), will come later this year where we need to move to a new server - anyone wishing to donate towards that will be most welcome to do so! That will mean a bit of downtime for us during that transition - the difference here, I hope, is that any downtime will be well announced and planned. As for the unplanned - that's life and all the excitement it brings.

Stuart

Glasgowman

Post by Glasgowman » Thu May 19, 2011 11:23 am

Sorry to raise this topic here again but just wondering if others are seeing Clydesite as "Hijacked" or if I have a problem with my PC?

Charles

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Thu May 19, 2011 11:29 am

Oh dear - yes I'm seeing it as well. Hopefully Bruce will be able to restore something without too much hassle.

Patrick Hill

Post by Patrick Hill » Thu May 19, 2011 11:34 am

Yup - it's been got at..

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Thu May 19, 2011 12:12 pm

Rather graphic comment also. Shame indeed.
Paul Strathdee

Ron Ireland

Post by Ron Ireland » Thu May 19, 2011 12:24 pm

jeez, glad it's not just me then

Deepol

Post by Deepol » Thu May 19, 2011 12:25 pm

Database and editing function also got at as well.
Paul Strathdee

Woody

Post by Woody » Thu May 19, 2011 12:39 pm

Database references I have used with the Clyde-built ships: Photography section are still working

Do you think this is Bruces's way of getting out?

John Ellis

Clydebuilt Database

Post by John Ellis » Thu May 19, 2011 12:43 pm

I am getting a most inappropriate message (from Chief but I can't repeat what it says here) when tring to access the Clydebuilt Database

Norry M

Post by Norry M » Thu May 19, 2011 12:44 pm

...Hi Guys...

When i click onto Clydesite/Foghorn or Tugtalk all i get is a cheeky message from a robotic monkey saying "Cheif F***ed Your System"...Sorry for the Sweary Bit...

Is anyone else getting this message on these sites or is it just me...

Oops Guys...I didn,t see the 2nd page of messages...

...Best Regards...Norry...

John Ellis

Re: Clydebuilt Database

Post by John Ellis » Thu May 19, 2011 12:46 pm

Also getting the same thing if you try to access Clydesite direct

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Thu May 19, 2011 1:09 pm

John see the separate thread on same subject.
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Thu May 19, 2011 1:13 pm

Woody, I am sure this will not be deliberate by Bruce. But how long will it be before he notices it? The direct links to d/base photos from Clyde Maritime do indeed work but I suppose because they are stored page references and do not need to go into the site via the 'front door'.
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Patrick Hill

Post by Patrick Hill » Thu May 19, 2011 1:20 pm

Have left Bruce a message on FB

John Ellis

Post by John Ellis » Thu May 19, 2011 1:35 pm

Couldn't see a theme about this particular aspect. Where should I be looking?

sugarboat28

Post by sugarboat28 » Thu May 19, 2011 2:18 pm

When I try Clydesite today all I get is screen that states "The Cheif has *uccked up" is anybody getting the same - it looks as though it has bee hijacked?

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Thu May 19, 2011 2:33 pm

"Is it the end" thread on Foghorn. I'll merge this and the other one together.

riverman

Post by riverman » Thu May 19, 2011 2:40 pm

Yes it appears to have been hijacked, in other words it's GUBBED for the present!
paul hunter

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Thu May 19, 2011 3:42 pm

Foghorn's sounding again ............
Angus Mac Kinnon

riverclyde_tug

Post by riverclyde_tug » Thu May 19, 2011 3:44 pm

Foghorn is back on with a message from Bruce

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Thu May 19, 2011 3:47 pm

Gone again
Angus Mac Kinnon

Patrick Hill

Post by Patrick Hill » Thu May 19, 2011 5:24 pm

Both working but Bruce has advised he is working on the issues in the background so I would suspect downtime can be expected until all issues resolved.
Last edited by Patrick Hill on Thu May 19, 2011 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “FOGHORN”