City of Adelaide - on the move ?

A place to let off steam - anything goes - well, almost!
Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:14 pm

Today a large crane is shifting sections of the Vessel Support Cradle structural steelwork from the laydown storage yard, where it lain since it arrived in Irvine from Australia, to the adjacent berth where the great ship has lain since her arrival from the Clyde. It would appear therefore that following the long delay, things are starting to move at last with the task of lifting the hulk onto a transhipment barge prior to commencing the long haul down to Adelaide, Australia. :clap:

A formidable task to say the least and one can but wish them all the luck in the world.

However, I think the 'DUNCAN' has a good chance of beating her to the Tail o' the Bank ............. :lol:
Angus Mac Kinnon

mcmahos
Site Admin

Re: City of Adelaide - on the move ?

Post by mcmahos » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:56 pm

I was just wondering what was happening with her when I passed by on Sunday afternoon - no sign of activity then. Interesting days / weeks ahead by the looks of it.
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | clydemaritimeforums.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled)

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | Twitter: @threetowner

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:23 pm

Coincidentally, I was down at the Site yesterday for a look-see. No one around, but the cradle's main frame work that was shipped here from Australia had been bolted up to the larger outer framework, since my last visit. Not the best of weather for this class of work - reminded me of my winters in the Elderslie Drydocks, it wasn't until you went to wash your hands before heading for the tram, that you discovered all the cuts and bashes sustained during the course of the shift - when the sub-zero conditions immunised you against pain ! Happy days? Nae chance, they came later !
Angus Mac Kinnon

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:40 pm

Passed by the site earlier today. All the structural steelwork appears to have been relocated over in the berth adjacent to where the ship is lying and the site where it had lain for months has now been cleared apart from various items of old engineering and process equipment.

Nothing further appears to have been done with regard to the hull itself and was unable to see whether any work has been or is going on with regard to groundwork, her 'dock', or ramp facility. No dredging going on but that would not be put in hand, I would think, until immediately before the movement/jacking/support cradle-fitting operations begin, and that will probably not be until later in the year.

Angus
Angus Mac Kinnon

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:58 pm

A few views of the support cradle steelwork a week or so ago, i.e. before its relocationin recent days.
Attachments
Cradle - 01.JPG
City of Adelaide - Support Cradle Steelwork - 1
Cradle - 02.JPG
City of Adelaide - Support Cradle Steelwork - 2
Cradle - 03.JPG
City of Adelaide - Support Cradle Steelwork - 3
Cradle - 04.JPG
City of Adelaide - Support Cradle Steelwork - 4
Cradle - 05.JPG
City of Adelaide - Support Cradle Steelwork - 5
Cradle - 06.JPG
City of Adelaide - Support Cradle Steelwork - 6
Angus Mac Kinnon

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Sat May 25, 2013 7:02 pm

A month on from the previous posting, here are some views of the challenge ahead for getting the old vessel out of her current home and onto a barge for floating out to deeper water, on her fabricated support cradle. As may be seen, the whole area around the confluence of the River Irvine and River Garnock is now heavily silted and a significant amount of clearing and dredging will be necessary for bringing barge up close to the point where they propose to load the hulk on board.

The berth where she is currently lying is one of the old building berths of the Ayrshire Dockyard where many a fine old steamer was built. Some of these builds were an impressive size, with a capacity of some 12,000 - 15,000 tons, and lengths in excess of 500 feet. Owners included Cayzer's Clan Line and Hogarth's Baron boats as well as foreign flag and naval craft, steam trawlers and tugboats.
Attachments
City of Adelaide - 1.JPG
City of Adelaide - 2.JPG
City of Adelaide - 3.JPG
City of Adelaide - 4.JPG
Angus Mac Kinnon

Allan

Post by Allan » Sat May 25, 2013 8:07 pm

At the outset let me say I have no experience/knowledge of ship transportation.

Therefore speaking as a layman, I cannot see the viability of this exercise, although I respect the wishes of city of Adelaide.

The Carrick (as I’ve known her from her days at the Broomielaw in Glasgow) is in very poor condition. The obstacles, even as shown above, let alone those that may/will arise in the journey to Australia seem to be so overwhelming to the extent that this project is doomed to fail.

I appreciate that money talks, and can make a lot of promises; my worry is that the physical limitations may overcome the monetary ones.
Allan Macmillan

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Sat May 25, 2013 9:09 pm

Well, Allan, let me say right away that I am no expert on the subject matter either, and whilst a year or two ago I would have wholly supported your fears, that fact of the matter is that no matter how onerous a task may be if you throw enough expertise and cash at it, all things are possible. Having crawled through her not long after she arrived in Irvine, and on more than one occasion, I have a good understanding of her present condition which is even worse than it was these years ago. However, as I say, throw enough technical and financial resources at even the most arduous of tasks and the seemingly impossible become a viable proposition. Those behind the scheme to restore the old girl are not without influence, incentive, ambition and resources, and the City and Community of Adelaide are fully supportive of this project. So, believe it, it will happen, incongruous though it would seem. It is true that the restoration job, after her challenging handling and sea transportation, will present some tough hurdles, and to a certain extent it may be anticipated that this will end up as much a 'replacement' job as a 'restoration' job where corrosion / structural weakness makes this mandatory. But better that than the furnaces, she is one of only two composite-construction clipper ships and it would be tragic if she was not saved, albeit not the original article - which I don't consider a showstopper situation.

Angus
Angus Mac Kinnon

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:24 am

A new video update on the (slow) progress of moving her: http://vimeo.com/71154746
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | clydemaritimeforums.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled)

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | Twitter: @threetowner

Robert

Post by Robert » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:17 pm

Thanks. That's magic. Looking forward to the next video.
Last edited by Robert on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allan

Post by Allan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:54 pm

Angus, I fully appreciate and support what you say – but at the time of reading, I originally felt that there was a line to be drawn between a “replacement” and a “restoration”. In any event, I envy you the satisfaction of having been aboard the ship.
However, having viewed the video, for which many thanks Stuart, this has changed my viewpoint to a degree. I was impressed by the appearance of the condition of the interior of the ship (at least of the parts we saw) – a lot better than that of the exterior.
It may well be that if the “replacement” is effected on the exterior, and done with a degree of accuracy and sensitivity, and the restoration can be achieved elsewhere, then I could be convinced of the merits of the operation.
Allan Macmillan

Allan

Post by Allan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:47 am

Brief discussion re the “impending” departure on Good Morning Scotland today:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b037zpkm

Very near the end – start at 2:46:00, lasts for about three minutes.
Allan Macmillan

Allan

Post by Allan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:12 pm

Allan Macmillan

SHIPSFAN

Post by SHIPSFAN » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:00 pm

she has been on the new cradle for a few weeks now and still alot of work to go at irvine before she moves,have a load of photos but still on cards yet sorry, brian

Return to “FOGHORN”