M.V. NORDVANG - derelict

Angus Mac Kinnon

M.V. NORDVANG - derelict

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:22 pm

A vessel that lay for months down in Ayr Harbour before ending up at the former West of Scotland Shipbreaking Company's quayside in the Inner Basin at Troon, the Scandanavian-built motorship M.V. NORDVANG (O.N. 20556 / IMO 622460)

Built in Denmark by Frederickshavn Vaerft of Frederikshavn, Yard Number 266.

Launched : 30-08-1966
Complete : 30-09-1966

Tonnages : GRT 299 / DWT 760

Dimensions : 48.2 m x 53.5 m x 9.5 m

Propulsion : Diesel Oil Engine giving vessel a speed of about 10 knots

Numerous Owners/Managers and changes of names throughout her history :

1966 - 1972 : FRANKEKLINT : PR 1964 of Rudkobing, Denmark
1972 - 1975 : HELLEFOS : Anders Jensen P/R of Copenhagen, Denmark
1975 - 1989 : MORLANG HEIDI : Rederiet Heidi I/S, Copenhagen, Denmark & Jan Erik Sorensen, Sanders, Denmark
1989 - 1991 : ENGESUND : P/R Engesund Shipping of Haugesund, Norway
1991 : MENDY : Artic Assurance of Forde, Norway
1991 : NORDVANG : A/S Nordvang of Haugesund, Norway
1991 : NORDVANG : Tres Shipping /S of Kingstown, Saint Vincent & The Grenadines

I had just newly returned from 7 years down in England so am not sure of the background, but I think if I recall correctly she had been placed under arrest for a catalogue of deficiencies, unpaid crew wages, port dues, etc. She was certainly in bad condition.

That area, now the P & O Terminal, was then open to the public so naturally there was a degree of vandalism going on that did not help matters.

Brian Climie mentioned she was finally broken up in the Ailsa Dockyard, but I do not have details nor dates for this.
Attachments
M.V. Nordvang - 1.jpg
M.V. Nordvang - 1
M.V. Nordvang - 2.jpg
M.V. Nordvang - 2
M.V. Nordvang - 3.jpg
M.V. Nordvang - 3
Angus Mac Kinnon

yorkieman

Re: M.V. NORDVANG - derelict

Post by yorkieman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:31 am

I have a scrapping date June 2001 but can't find a ref to it in 'Marine News' which is the usual source.
Miramar has December 2001.
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:01 am

I believe December 2001 is the correct version, but will check with Brian Climie as I believe he took photographs of her when she was undergoing demolition in the Ailsa Drydock. As far as my own images of her are concerned, I think these would have been taken around 1992 or 1993 - but this might not be accurate.
Angus Mac Kinnon

SHIPSFAN

Post by SHIPSFAN » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:16 pm

Angus Mac Kinnon wrote:I believe December 2001 is the correct version, but will check with Brian Climie as I believe he took photographs of her when she was undergoing demolition in the Ailsa Drydock. As far as my own images of her are concerned, I think these would have been taken around 1992 or 1993 - but this might not be accurate.
yes that sounds correct george and angus, she had a fire on her over at the old breakers wall,some time later she was moved to the old fitting out wall at the shipyard where they started to break her up down to near water line later she was pushed into the drydock and broken up the place was a mess,, i did some photos for the insurers/lawyers and alot of slides for my own collection i will post a few when i get to them, i remember her when she came into ayr i took slides from the pilot boat she was a smart coaster and i never thought some years later she would be broken up in troon and sold as scrap in glasgow, brian

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:51 am

If I recall rightly, was there not a situation whereby what remained of the unpaid crew, whilst she was lying down in Ayr, were stripping out hardware and flogging it off to generate the funds to feed themselves? Also seem to recall that the folk of Ayr helped them out a bit.
Angus Mac Kinnon

yorkieman

Post by yorkieman » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:20 am

.... so it wasn't those Ardrossan folk who annexed a few bits of her (Putin style)? ;)
George Robinson
Freeman of Eriskay

Angus Mac Kinnon

Post by Angus Mac Kinnon » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:09 am

I will have nothing whatsoever said against the character and integrity of my good friends the Ardrussanites - a class act, second to none, crème de la crème, master shipbuilders of a past era, not to mention the excellent fishing boats produced there by Mr McCrindle. That right, Heid Honcho ? :D
Angus Mac Kinnon

SHIPSFAN

Post by SHIPSFAN » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:59 am

Angus Mac Kinnon wrote:If I recall rightly, was there not a situation whereby what remained of the unpaid crew, whilst she was lying down in Ayr, were stripping out hardware and flogging it off to generate the funds to feed themselves? Also seem to recall that the folk of Ayr helped them out a bit.
very true angus and very sad when things go like this,,i still have the builders plate,, 8-)

mcmahos
Site Admin

Post by mcmahos » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:08 am

Angus Mac Kinnon wrote:I will have nothing whatsoever said against the character and integrity of my good friends the Ardrussanites - a class act, second to none, crème de la crème, master shipbuilders of a past era, not to mention the excellent fishing boats produced there by Mr McCrindle. That right, Heid Honcho ? :D
What else would you expect from up here. The quality of the metal we can pinch from Troon sur la mer is easily the best in the west.

Don't forget as well the good old Maid of Glencoul, still going strong up at Corran.
Stuart McMahon, Site Admin and Head Honcho
www.clydemaritime.co.uk | forums.clydemaritime.co.uk (Tapatalk enabled) | puffers.clydemaritime.co.uk
Twitter: @clydemaritime

My website: md93.co.uk | My Flickr site | My blog: longtail.co.uk | Twitter: @threetowner

Dennis Maccoy

Post by Dennis Maccoy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:04 pm

Nordvang at Troon, inboard of a deck-cargo barge, on 18 August 1999.
Nordvang, 6622460, Troon, 18 August 1999 (2)_1.jpg
Regards,

Dennis

Return to “Shipping at Ayr and Troon”